No matter what your age is, we all want to look and feel our best! When we start seeing those little signs of aging starting to appear, our gut reaction is to freak out a little! Yes, we have all heard that wrinkles are a sign of maturity and a well-lived life, but if we’re totally honest with ourselves, we don’t want to look “too well-lived”! If you fall into this category, there’s good news for you! With the technology and information that we have today, there are a multitude of things you can do to help you look as young as you feel! Here are several things that you can do to protect your skin, reduce wrinkles, improve your health and help you look as young as you feel!
1. Limit Your Sun Exposure – As much as we love spending time in the sun, there’s no avoiding the fact that sun exposure is the main cause of wrinkles and premature aging of the skin. Excessive sun exposure can also lead to more serious problems, such as skin cancer.
2. Wear Sunscreen Everyday – Don’t just reserve the sunscreen for days you’re going to spend extended time in the sun. Apply sunscreen everyday while you’re doing your daily skincare routine.
3. Avoid Smoking – Smoking not only is dangerous for your health, but it also promotes wrinkles around your mouth and a breakdown of collagen and elastin resulting in thinner, more wrinkled skin.
4. Get Enough Sleep – While each of us are unique regarding the amount of sleep need to keep ourselves feeling rejuvenated and refreshed, not getting enough sleep will promote an increase of cortisol, a hormone that promotes skin breakdown.
5. Wear Sunglasses or Glasses to Decrease Squinting
6. Eat Salmon – Cold-water fish is a great source of protein and omega-3. These ingredients are needed to help build, nourish and plump skin cells, which helps decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
7. Eat Lots of Fruits and Vegetables – Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage skin cells. Fruits and veggies contain antioxidant compounds which fight against free radicals and helps skin look younger.
8. Use Moisturizer – Fine lines are far more noticeable if your skin is rough and dry.
9. Be Gentle and Don’t Wash Your Face Too Much – Over-washing can dry out your skin. Use mild cleanser or even organic coconut oil to remove makeup and cleanse your skin.
10. Try using products with Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s) – these are natural fruit acids that help smooth the skin.
11. Use Retinoids or Retinols – Tretinoin (Retin A) is currently the only FDA-approved topical treatment for wrinkles and is only sold with a doctor’s prescription. Retinol is a milder form of Retin A and can be found in over the counter products.
So what can you do if you already have wrinkles? Check out these treatment options that reduce wrinkles:
12. Botox – Botox is a purified version of Botulinum toxin A and works by relaxing the muscle underneath the wrinkle so the skin on the surface can relax and lay wrinkle-free.
13. Wrinkle Fillers – Deep wrinkles can be addressed by the use of “fillers” such as Juvederm, Restylane, and others.
14. Laser Resurfacing – The top layer of skin is removed by use of a laser or high-energy light source. The skin then activates its’ natural collagen production and repairs the skin with smoother, wrinkle-free skin.
15. Chemical Peels – A variety of chemicals are applied to the skin to “burn” the top layer of skin so the body will respond and make additional collagen to repair the skin. The result is younger, smoother looking skin.
16. Dermabrasion/Microdermabrasion – A vacuum suction and a mild chemical crystal are used to gently remove the dead skin cells or top layer of skin cells to stimulate the body to produce new, evenly texture skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
In conclusion, there are many things you can do on your own to promote healthy, beautiful, youthful looking skin. If you choose to try some of the above cosmetic procedures, always make sure to go to a reputable medical professional, such as your doctor, dermatologist or licensed professionals who specialize in this area.
If you are in the Pompano Beach area, Dr. William Cheatham at VIP Family Medicine, is a highly respected family practice doctor who has a passion for helping his patients not only stay healthy, but also looking and feeling their best! Dr. Cheatham specializes in anti-aging procedures such as botox and testosterone replacement therapy. Contact Dr. Cheatham at 954-364-3673 and let his team of professionals set up your consultation. Take that next step of being the best you can be at any age! You’ll be glad you did!
PS- Be sure to ask about our current Botox special offer!